NJV School

Named after Maharaj Jagan Nath Vidya, the Narayan Jagannath Vaidya High School was the first government school founded in Sindh. In October 1855, Sir Bartle Frere established the NJV School on M.A. Jinnah Road. It was known for having students from various social, religious and political backgrounds. Apart from its integral role as an educational institute in Sindh, the NJV School also has profound historic value, as the building was the venue of the first National Assembly of Pakistan in August 1947, the first legislative assembly of the newly-formed, post-Partition Islamic Republic. Furthermore, the NJV school had until recently become largely derelict, but following its selection as one of the primary venues of the Karachi Biennale 2017, it has since been revived by the Akhuwat Foundation, now boasting a large cohort of local, underprivileged children and realizing the venue’s latent potential to reveal the transformative energy of art.

1 / 32
2 / 32
3 / 32
4 / 32
5 / 32
6 / 32
7 / 32
8 / 32
9 / 32
10 / 32
11 / 32
12 / 32
13 / 32
14 / 32
15 / 32
16 / 32
17 / 32
18 / 32
19 / 32
20 / 32
21 / 32
22 / 32
23 / 32
24 / 32
25 / 32
26 / 32
27 / 32
28 / 32
29 / 32
30 / 32
31 / 32
32 / 32

Participating Artists: